Many people are intimidated to attempt a buttercream frosting. I know it may seem tricky – it is after all known to separate if made incorrectly. But I promise, it is not difficult to master and once you have it perfected, it is great for frosting cupcakes and spreading over cakes. It makes a really flawless finish and tastes amazing.
So when you’re trying this recipe just keep in mind the following tips:
- When adding your butter to the egg white mixture, the mixture may start to look like it is separating or clumping – don’t worry! Just keep mixing until it comes together into a smooth frosting. If your mixture is still not coming together, try increasing the mixer speed for a few minutes.
- All your ingredients should be at the same temperature (room temperature), otherwise your buttercream will separate. If this happens, you can salvage your buttercream by altering the temperature (if your mixture feels warm, place it over an ice bath and if the mixture feels cold, wrap a hot towel around your bowl)
Swiss Meringue Buttercream
By February 10, 2013Published:
frosts about 15-20 cupcakes
- 5 large egg whites
- 1 cup and 2 tbsp sugar
- pinch salt
- 4 sticks unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Combine egg whites, sugar and salt in a medium bowl which is set above a pan of just simmering water. Whisk the mixture until the sugar is completely dissolved and it is warm and smooth to touch.
- Transfer mixture to the bowl of an electric mixer. Whisk the mixture, starting on low speed and increasing slowly to medium-high speed. Whisk until stiff (but not dry) peaks form. Continue whisking until the mixture is fluffy and glossy (about 10 minutes) and the mixture is completely cool (test by touching the bottom of the bowl).
- Decrease mixer speed to medium-low and begin adding butter a few tablespoons at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add in vanilla. The mixture may look like it is separating but continue beating until it comes together and becomes smooth. Switch to a paddle attachment and beat to remove any air bubbles.
- If you are using food colouring, tint by folding in gel colours until fully combined. Transfer frosting to a pastry bag with a tip of your choice and frost cupcakes!